Monday, November 12, 2007

The Physical Library

courtesy of Don Fulano


If we build it...



If we want to attract customers...I mean, patrons...we have to make the library appealing.


Do a user needs assessment of one

What do you like in a library? If you were/are a student now, what would you like to see in a library?

In my user needs assessment of one (myself), I discovered that I would like:

  • a space that encourages discussion but also uses architecture to keep the noise level down--I like the background noise
  • a relaxed food and drink policy, and a place to get food and coffee at all hours
  • artwork on the walls (to provide some distraction when my mind needs a break)
  • interesting exhibits
  • plenty of computers with all the software I could possibly need
  • wireless connections
  • plenty of outlets so I can plug in my computer wherever I sit
  • comfortable tables and chairs that I can move as necessary, because sometimes I will want to study alone, and sometimes I may want to work collaboratively
  • as a library staff person, I want to know that some long-term strategic thinking has gone into the infrastructure; is there a plan for future flexibility?