Monday, November 12, 2007

"Real" versus "Virtual"



When I think of "real" services, I think of interpersonal interactions, such as:
  • Face-to-face encounters
      • in the stacks
      • at a service desk
      • in a classroom

When I think of "virtual" services, I think of interactions mediated by technology, such as:
  • Instant messaging
  • Text messaging
  • Podcasting


A False Distinction


Ultimately, any service that we provide is a "real" service.



Let's do some word association...


Some other words and phrases I think of when I think about "real" services:

  • traditional
  • legacy
  • what we know how to do well already
  • what we're comfortable with doing

And "virtual" services:

  • new
  • increased workload
  • may require more FTE
  • learning curve
  • creates anxiety
  • amorphous

Why does it matter?